Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I spoke last night to a really nice group of women at the local Pilot Club. The work with a program called Project Lifesaver International. Project Lifesaver International helps provide rapid response to save lives and reduce potential for serious injury for adults and children who wander due to Alzheimer's, Autism, Down Syndrome, dementia and other related disorders. For more information you can go to www.projectlifesaver.org. This program is provided nationwide. I'd like to thank the ladies there for welcoming me to their meeting last night.

In a few weeks I'll be going to Washington DC for the Alzheimer's Action Summit Advocacy Forum. If any of you that read this blog are going, please let me know as I would love to meet you. The conference is designed for advocates across the nation to meet with their national legislators. For more information you can go to www.alz.org/summit/forum_about.asp

3 comments:

karen said...

I want to go to Washington so bad but can't get a caregiver for mom and it is a bit costly. Can't wait till you get back and give us all the details to your trip. Good luck and have fun.

Marilynn said...

My name is Marilynn Garzione. I spoke at the Candlelight Vigil two years ago and will definitely be in DC this March with members from the Alz Assoc in New York. It would be great to meet you....

I have spoken at several conferences and have written a book entitled "Released to the Angels" about the journey I took with my husband, Patick. I would love to share our story with you.....come visit me on my web site!

www.releasedtotheangels.com

What is your full name and where will you be staying?....hopefully we can make connections once there.

My best,
Marilynn

Amy S. said...

I was at a similar meeting about two weeks ago about the risks of wandering Alzheimer's patients at my grandmother's assisted living community. She has been living with Alzheimer's now for 4 years and we have had a few worrisome experiences with her getting lost. I am glad to hear of Project Lifesaver though and will spread the word to our community here; it looks like a great program.

Here in Oklahoma we have a similar program called invisibleBracelet that is going nationwide. It keeps track of my grandmother's relevant medical information while still being HIPAA-compliant, so she doesn't have to remember what to tell an EMT if some kind of medical emergency occurs while she's lost. I think the invisibleBracelet could really do leaps and bounds for the Alzheimer's community like it has for my grandma; plus, it's only 5 bucks a year.

Your blog is great and you are doing wonders to support the Alzheimer's community of America. Thank you!