Thursday, February 25, 2010

Florida











We just returned from a few days in Florida -- where it was nice and warm -- in the low 80's. We returned and this morning it was 24 degrees outside!

We first went to Gainesville where we saw our beloved Lady Bulldogs lost to the University of Florida in basketball. A disappointing loss to say the least.

Then we headed about four hours south and went to Ft. Myers. My first cousin Laura and Ken live there six months out of the year (the other six months in Wisconsin). I hadn't seen them for many years and we decided that since we were that far south we would go the extra miles and visit. We had a great time and I want to thank them so much for showing us around and being so gracious with their time. A few photos are posted on top -- Ralph and I by a banyon tree on the grounds of Thomas Edison's estate in Ft. Myers along with a few other photos from there. We also went out to Captiva Island and Sannibel Island. The homes there were gorgeous -- it kind of reminded me of a cross between Martha's Vineyard and Hilton Head!

Several things I saw there that I had never seen were a cinnamon tree and an allspice tree. I guess I never knew those spices grew on a tree -- had never really given it much thought but was surprised by them.
Thanks again to Ken and Laura for our royal treatment!
Another thing, I went to Florida with only one of my two Alzheimer's medications -- I forgot them -- imagine that. I did ok since it was only a couple of days, but I'm glad I wasn't alone!

1 comment:

Latane Barton said...

So nice that you had such a great trip. It's always nice to be with people you care about and also to do new things. Sorry about the Bulldogs!! Maybe next time.