Saturday, August 01, 2009

Questions and Answers

I have had quite a few questions emailed to me recently and I'll take this opportunity to answer them

1.Someone asked which medication I was taking for concentration -- the answer is Adderall -- it is a drug given for people with Attention Deficit Disorder. I don't know if it works for everyone but it certainly has helped me. I was having such a difficult time concentrating for more than an hour or so, it has definitely helpe me. One of the side effects is that it will keep you awake so sometimes, even though I still feel like I need my afternoon nap, that is difficult to come by. Sleeping at night though hasn't been a problem if I take my pill early in the morning. It took a little while to get the dosage to where it has worked, but for now, it is helping.

2. Next questions was about travel since I have been talking about it a lot lately. Someone wanted to know "how well I travel". I wish I travelled better -- it is getting harder and harder to do if I go to a place I am unfamiliar with. My husband was with me on the last two trips -- but the one up to Cape Cod was definitley harder because I had never been before. Plus, all the tourists (me included) made it more difficult. I don't do well in crowds -- I get a feeling of being overwhelmed and the noise is very distracting. I find myself having panic attacks. I know how to deal with them so I do, and having someone along certainly helps and can get me out of situations if need be. Also, not overcrowding my schedule helps and lots of sleep.

3. Do I speak to groups? was another question I have had recently. My answer is yes -- and I love to do it. I have said that as long as I can I want to be able to speak about this disease to help educate the public. I'll go just about anywhere and talk to just about anyone. As long as my expenses are covered I'm usually good to go. I try to bring a bit of humor into my talks so it isn't "a downer" and try to share some day to day experiences with the audience. Just leave me a message with contact information if you are interested and I promise I won't broadcast that information out to all the readers of this blog.

4. Memory Walk -- I've had several people ask me who can walk in a Memory Walk. Anyone can walk in any walk across the country! Of course, Memory Walk is the major fund raiser for the Alzheimer's Association but you do not have to raise money if you don't want to --- you can just find a walk near you and come out and support the cause. If you do raise, $150 you will get an official "Memory Walk" t-shirt. Walks are held all over the country in the fall -- go to www.alz.org or find a walk near you. We need you all to come out and support our cause.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your questions.

No comments: