Sunday, August 02, 2009

Friends

I know that I have said this before -- that when I was first diagnosed with Alzheimer's that my friends (and family) were the most important things to me. Unfortunately, some friends that I thought were friends, really weren't friends because they went running to the hills when they found out about my diagnosis. I learned a lot from that.

But a few months a friend from my hometown passed away. We had gone to elementary school and high school together. Word of his death hit me very hard although it had probably been over 25 years since I had seen him. He was quite successful in business as I think we all knew he would be. He was every kid's friend and I don't think I ever heard anyone say anything bad about him. I've recently tried to reach out to some of my old classmates through Facebook and "talking" with them via Facebook I learned that they too were hit hard by his death. I guess that speaks volumes about him as a person. I'm sorry I didn't make it back home to his funeral. I had sent a note to his parents and received a lovely note in return about the support they had been given and how touched they were that so many old classmates came to pay their respects or contact them. I don't think we will ever know what type of impression we leave on people.....we all hope it is a positive one I am sure. I was proud to call Terry my friend.

1 comment:

Maddy said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I glad that you found out who your true friend are.
BEst wishes