Friday, August 01, 2008

Chicago

After a very very long trip yesterday I'm finally home from Chicago. Between thunderstorms in Chicago and Atlanta and a very large car crash blocking traffic in Atlanta it was a long day. More about that later.

I was in Chicago for the International Conference on Alzheimer's Disease. Over 5,000 people from around the world were there -- it was pretty impressive. They are all trying to find a cure for this disease. That's encouraging. Of course, most of the sessions were so technical they were way over my head, but I hung in there for a few of them. There are some exciting things in the pipeline -- it will just take years for the drugs to make it through our complicated process of clinical trials and the FDA. I have to keep in my thoughts that there will be a breakthrough of some significance in the next ten years or so.

Thanks to the BBC for their remarkable five part series on Alzheimer's this week. I have had lots of comments on the show. They filmed my story while I was in Washington in May for the Public Policy forum and it ran on Tuesday of this last week. Here is the link if you missed it. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7532226.stm On the page that this comes up on you will also find links to the other stories that ran. It was a powerful series in all.

There was a lot of press last week on Alzheimer's with the conference going on. And, Memory Walk commercials were running last week as well. If you want more information on the conference you can get it at www.alz.org. I will be writing more once I am rested.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just watched the whole series and your interview twice! So nice to see the "real" you -- you did a great job! Thanks for being an advocate for those who cannot speak for themselves and thank you for letting us know how to react to our loved ones w/ AD. Thankfully my mom is doing a lot better lately -- it's been just over 1 yr. since her diagnosis. D