Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day

Yesterday was Father's Day. After my father passed away, many many years ago it was difficult for me to go into a card store where they sold Father's Day cards. And, sometimes, even now it is difficult for me to look at the cards celebrating Father's Day. I felt especially sad this weekend when I heard the news about NBC's moderator of Meet the Press, Tim Russert's passing. Of course I didn't know him, but I felt as if I did. And, I know from watching him for so many years, he was so proud of his son Luke. I kind of felt like part of my family passed away with him and I know that sounds silly. But, I really enjoyed watching him. I particularly liked his book "Big Russ and Me" about his father and their relationship. I remember reading that and thinking that many times he was describing my relationship with my father.....which was indeed special. He's been gone for 25 years and I still miss him.

Go hug your father, mother, son or daughter.

No comments: