Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A few things

I'll be off line for a few days. Have meetings in Atlanta and Albany Georgia this week.

I have been thinking about all the young lives we hear of being taken these days. I guess it is on my mind since the UNC student that was killed was from Athens. My son is 24 years old and I look back at some of the friends he has lost due to car accidents, hom invasions and suicide. I don't remember young people dying like that when I was young. Perhaps it happened and we just didn't hear about it. It is so tragic. And, then of course, we have all the young lives lost overseas in the war. It just makes you want to hug your kids and never let go.

This past weekend CBS news ran a story about an Atlanta couple dealing with Alzheimer's. I'm fortunate to know this couple and the piece was really good. The husband has early on-set Alzheimer's and is dealing with it with other members of his family as well. One thing that was striking to me is when they interviewed his wife Trish she said something to the effect of -- if we sat around and were depressed about this we would be missing out on a lot of quality time together. Forgive me Trish if I messed this up -- but it is so true. Time spent feeling sorry for yourself robs you of the good time you have left. Here is a link to the video http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3919714n?source=search_video

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kris,

I found your blog through an Alzheimer's forum. My father also was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's at 57. I've been trying to find other alzheimer's blogs to link to. Is it ok if I link with yours? My blog is at www.battlethespread.com/blog and my email is admin (at) battlethespread.com.

I'm a software engineer and I'm trying to use my skills to make a contribution towards battling the disease...