Sunday, January 06, 2008

Dee from Canada asked about my last comment regarding talking on the telephone. I know that many others with AD have this problem as well. Talking on the phone is difficult for me because it is hard for me to follow the conversation. I have to concentrate for too long and I can't seem to do that. I definitely prefer email because I can go back and re-read it if I need to. It sounds kind of silly that it is hard to talk on the phone, but it is just so hard to keep focused and to follow the theme of the conversation. Plus, when talking on the phone the conversation keeps jumping around and I have a hard time jumping from one subject to the next. My friends understand this so that is good.

One thing about our Early Stage Advisory Group is that once a month we have a teleconference call. It lasts between 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours. Needless to say, after a little while I have a hard time keeping up as I am sure many others on the call do too, but don't admit it! But, it is the only way for us to all communicate at the same time since we are spread all over the country. We do communicate through a secure message board when we need to and we do email, but the phone conversations are the best way for all of us to get together.

We have a busy year ahead. It kind of makes my mind spin just thinking about things. Three weddings for one thing -- one of which is my son's! If I can make it through the summer I'll be o.k. I worry alot about how my health is going to be in 6 months or 9 months and I don't know why I worry because there is not one thing I can do about it. Don't they say you shouldn't worry about things out of your control? I guess it is because there are so many things going on this year that I wonder how I'll be feeling when it is time for those events.

Numbers --
186 Christmas cards received
120 days until my son graduates from Stanford Law School
6 days in May when my husband and I will be home together
22 days spent in hotel rooms in May
7 pounds I gained over the holidays (not a good thing)
1 hour spent writing this blog -- did I mention how bad I am getting at this?
4 squirrels currently inhabiting our new bird feeder we got for Christmas

Now, I have 45 minutes to get ready to go to the gym -- to get rid of those 7 pounds!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explanation. It helps.

I like reading your blog -- thank you for all of the work that you do to fight this disease! D